Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Great Marriage=Great Parents.

The only book I really read before having Carter was "Baby Wise." I give it all the credit for a newborn who slept through the night at 9 weeks and who has good eating habits. In fact, I need to crack it open soon and figure out how to deal with two babies and schedules.

But when I read it a little more than a year ago, I was impressed with it's whole basis....."Great marriages produce great parents." The first chapter had nothing to do with schedules, nursing tips, healthy growth indicators, nutrition, tummy time, or anything specific on how to physically handle a newborn.

"....the greatest overall influence you will have on your children will not come in your role as an individual parent, but in your joint role as husband and wife." 


"When a child observes the special friendship and emotional togetherness of his parents, he is more secure simply because it isn't necessary to question the legitimacy of his parent's commitment to one another." 


"...insecurity is fostered by what is not taking place between couples as much as what is taking place." 


"The best years of parenting flow out of the best years of marriage. Protect it!"


So there you go. I love Carter and baby #2 by loving my husband the way God wants me to. Way easier said than done. Not that I don't love my husband but everyone knows that marriage is challenging and loving a person they way they need it takes practice and time.

Good reminders.

Thankfully Casey and I have been able to have a few dates these past few months. We've tried to be intentional about it. We don't go out every week that's for sure but when it works out we do it. [Thanks to those who babysit for us!] I feel like this will only get more challenging with another baby on the way but we're trying. And when we are home, we do try to connect and spend time together.



If you are married and have kids, how do you try to stay connected as a couple? Any good ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment